Saturday, August 29, 2009

Matsue

So I spent the last week and a half in Shimane's capital city, Matsue. Needless to say, I have hundreds of pictures and lots of stories, so I'll probably be posting up on here a few times in the next couple days to cover it all. Those on facebook can see all my pictures already, and if you can't see my facebook pics, good news, I've recently made myself searchable again, so go befriend me check out my adventures in all their photographic splendor!

Anyways, it took me 6 hours to get to Matsue from Ama, but that was because 1: the ferry stopped at 2 other islands along the way, and 2: I took the hour and a half long train through Yonago because I didn't realize their was a cheap 40 minute bus ride available from the port. I went down almost 2 weeks ago now, for a week of intensive language study. I didn't really learn anything new, but I did jumpstart my Japanese and I had a great time with some of the other JETs as well. After the class ended, three of us, myself, Leonard, and Martin, stayed over the weekend, because we live so far away, and had to be back Monday for 2-3 days of orientation. So I was actually there for a total of 12 days before I made it back to Ama. Great times!

The first night of having everyone there, we met some other Matsue JETs along the shore of Lake Shinji, to watch the sunset. The lake is the second largest body of water in Japan, and the sunset, as you can see, was quite spectacular, even on an overcast day. Afterwards, we went out to dinner, and later to Karaoke!

Pretty much every night for the last week and a half followed this pattern: Class all day, going out on the town with friends at night. Sometimes we went to the lake, others to Karaoke or bars, but usually to a meeting spot called the Red Umbrella, which literally was an enormous red umbrella with tables and chairs underneath. Another evening we went to a club for the new JET welcome party. I was late though because I went to an Onsen (hot spring) festival first with another ALT. We missed all the onsen being free, but still went to one for a half hour with a great view of the lake. I'm looking forward to going back to an open air onsen once the snow comes.

He was only behind that table because the bar was full

I also met an ALT with 10 years calligraphy experience. He actually wrote the wall scroll you can see hanging behind my friend Shane, in the picture above. (It says "Sake is the king of medicines.) He took me to a calligraphy class one afternoon after he got off work, which was pretty cool. It was almost like going to drug deal or mafia meeting from the movies getting there though. We were walking down a street and he just opened a random door to an old building. There was no light inside, and we walked down a hall covered in dilapidated doors and chairs until we came to an old creaky staircase. At the top was worn sliding door and behind that, an elderly calligraphy master randomly teaching a young Japanese boy the art of Shodo (calligraphy). It was pretty fun though, and afterward I bought a new set so I could start practicing after school in Ama. I might go over to the high school and see if they have a club for it.

Every night in Matsue was great, and now that I'm back home, I'm kinda lonely again. But work starts Tuesday, and I should start making more friends in Ama once I start getting out more. Although that may prove difficult since I bought a new couch in the city. Then again, it might be easier because I may be buying a new car next month. I'll be sure to let all of y'all know what's going on though. Oh, and I'll have more site specific posts up in the next couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome picture Drew! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete